You’ve come this far—you’ve gotten accepted to USC! i am certain initial thing on your mind now is ways to challenge yourself to the fullest degree throughout your four years as a Trojan. Ok, ok, maybe researching Honors Programs at USC just isn’t the first thing on your to-do list (you’re busy applying for housing and ordering football seats, right?) So, we thought we would bring the information for you! Here you will find the details on two honors options at USC: Freshman Science Honors and Thematic choice.
The Freshman Science Honors Program, or FSH, supplies a rigorous yet personalized experience for first 12 months students into the natural sciences. In the place of taking the usual freshmen 12 months science courses, FSH pupils simply take a version that is advanced of classes which have both a smaller lecture and conversation section. This fosters a more experience that is hands-on labs, more individualized attention from faculty, and a more collaborative environment amongst FSH Scholars. FSH also runs beyond the classroom, supplying possibilities for industry trips, guest lectures, etc.
Austin Carter, a sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences, took part in FSH and says he initially applied because he ‘was excited about using a smaller group of people’ and ‘thrives off collaboration.’ He definitely discovered that teamwork through FSH: ‘Through collaborating on labs or studying for tests, our work that is hard brought together.’ He also notes that an investigation trip to Catalina ‘offered an opportunity to really get to know each other outside of the classroom setting.’ To find out more, including exactly how to apply, please check out make an application for FSH . Please observe that the 2013 deadline is April tenth, and to qualify, you have to be a declared science that is natural.
Thematic choice, or even TO as it is described on campus, is really a program that replaces USC’s General Education curriculum having an core curriculum that is interdisciplinary. While perhaps not a humanities program per say, inside is very reading and writing intensive, so students signing up to this system should be prepared for this type of rigor. This program is probably not for you shmoop.pro if you don’t LOVE reading and writing. Like FSH, TO provides students by having a smaller learning environment which enables greater discussion amongst pupils and faculty.
Aaron Brown, Associate Director of Admission, participated in TO when he was a student at USC. Aaron says that TO ‘became a good way to shrink this large institution to a more manageable size’ and claims it provided him with outstanding community of like-minded students. Aaron states his favorite TO course had been Core 102 that he took their semester that is first of themed ‘The Hero’s Journey.’ He says one instance that stands apart is when the class invested an entire period discussing just two paragraphs of Heart of Darkness. Aaron claims it was a ‘wow, this is college’ moment for him. Aaron also got a trip to Disneyland from the experience during his Core 101 course when they were studying Mickey Mouse as an icon that is cultural. He notes that as a freshman brand new to LA, ‘these were invaluable possibilities to explore this great city.’
To find out more on how to apply, please visit deciding on Thematic Option . Please note that only admitted students qualify to use as well as the deadline is 10th april.
These are just two of the options that are many have for pursuing honors at USC. One may also receive departmental honors by completing a thesis that is honors their senior year. Please check out the following links for informative data on other honors programs at USC: Dornsife Honors Prorgrams, Viterbi Honors, Renaissance Scholars, Global Scholars, Discovery Scholars, McNair Scholars, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship.
Remember that even that you will still be receiving an invigorating and intellectually challenging education at one of the world’s premier research institutions if you do not complete any of the aforementioned programs during your time at USC, rest assured. Fight up on!
I Enjoy LA!
In the next few months, recently admitted pupils, along side big waves of potential students on their spring breaks, will be visiting our campus. Because Mid-March through April is our time that is busiest for visitors, guests should make their reservations early. Please click on the after helpful links for information on how to sign up for the campus check out:
We have spent the last few months reading thousands of files, we are very excited to meet all of you so we are primed for some student interaction and! While we’m sure that there will be plenty happening on campus, I wanted to highlight several things about this beautiful city that I love. I have been surviving in Los Angeles for the last 9 years and you may still find things I have not done, but this is often a personal ‘Must See’ list that I’ve put together for LA visitors. You are hoped by me enjoy!
1) Let’s Take A Ride: For my everyday drive, we take the Metro Expo Line to operate. Since its opening in Spring 2012, USC students are able to take this train to Culver City in western LA or to Downtown. You are invited by me to complete the same! Culver City is a place that is great restaurants, museums and theaters. If you ride the Expo Line heading in the opposite direction, it’s possible to take pleasure from LA Live- house of the Nokia Theatre, the GRAMMY museum and lots of more restaurants. Right door that is next The Staples Center, where the Lakers play ( plus some other NBA group that no one caresabout). After that, you can feel free to explore the rest of Downtown LA and all sorts of it needs to offer! There are three stops near our campus so it is extremely accessible. The fare is cheapand it takes 20 minutes or less getting to either destination. Talk in regards to a way that is great avoid traffic!
2) Why see the world, when you’ve got the BEACH!: I possibly couldnot have a ‘Must See’ list about LA without mentioning the beach! Venice is definitely popular with our visitors due to all the social people watching you can certainly do. I choose less beaches that are crowded Playa or Santa Monica, but whatever perhaps you are within the mood for, you can’t visit LA without hitting the waves!
3) Listen Up!: My personal thing that is favorite Los Angeles is the amount and variety of live music you can expose yourself to. We love going to big concerts at my venue that is favorite Greek Theatre, to view musicians like Jason Mraz or Phoenix. If I would like to go for something more intimate, i could constantly always check out up and coming singer/songwriters at places like area 5 or The Witzend.
4) an increased Rested Place: we had beenn’t going to include restaurants in this post, but this is a new favorite, so I had to help make an exception. Perch restaurant is a French inspired bistro located in the center of downtown l . a .. It bears its name mostly you an unobstructed 360 degree view of the city because it sits on a rooftop and gives. I highly recommend taking your loved ones right here for Sunday brunch with some music that is live
5) A Lesson ever sold: Olvera Street may be the oldest component of this town. Just take the Expo Line from campus and then the line that is connecting Union facility. In approximately half an hour, you certainly will find yourself surrounded by historic buildings and a traditional style that is mexican with plenty of places to consume and shop. Invest a couple hours appreciating the architectural beauty and studying its traditions.
I hope some of you reach visit some of these places and tell us what you imagine should you!